Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Checklist

On the note of the Red Pen, one tool I've come up with when I'm revamping a screenplay is the Checklist. I look at my past screenplay's and make note of what the professor has critiqued me on, or what I have had trouble understanding. Using that list, I mentally check each of the things as I read my screenplay, completely reading through for each problem.

 In my second screenplay my trouble came in remembering to put sounds that are significant to the story of the film in all caps. Because of this when I looked over my last screenplay before handing it in, I read it through once checking specifically for that problem. On my next sweep of the script I paid close attention to how I treated the description of places and the character identification; which I had also had a problem with. While I don't literally write out a checklist and go down it bit by bit, it wouldn't hurt.

In using the Checklist I've noticed it's becomes possible for me to get hung up on the details of Screenplay formatting. In the course of editing to solve formatting problems I may inadvertently change the flow or direction of the story, which could move the screenplay away from the requirements laid down for the assignment. Future goal: always keep in mind the object of the piece even while making corrections to the format.

No comments:

Post a Comment