Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Hello!

Hello all!

This is not my first crack at blogging, my last attempt petered out after only a few posts. I started off with a vague idea of what to do, and what I was going to talk about. There was nothing really concrete. This time however I have a pretty good idea of what I want to say. Basically, I'm here as a student to write about things I learn in order to make it sink in more within my brain. This is for me, not you.

I'll be venting a bit about class, assignments, and every once in awhile professors. As an Art and Film (technically called Digital Cinema)  major I'm aiming to take a critical stance on alot of my own work. So, to begin.

This semester I'm taking a screenwriting class. It's going pretty well, and I've gotten some good feedback, and managed to get B's on all my screenplays so far. Yesterday I received a project back, flipped it open the first page to find... The Red Pen.

Feedback on work is always important, as an artist I know that the Red Pen is a good device for a teacher because on a black and white page it pops quite well. The first thing to remember about criticism is to not take it personally. Did I go home after class feeling terrible and indulge in a large wineglass of chocolate milk? Yes, yes I did.  Give yourself some time to cool down and look at it from a less self critical point of view.  It's not you that the professor is criticizing, it's your work. Remember that you can look at the Red Pen as a tool, one of the many things that an artist can use to produce better work.

So take a step back, and don't look at it as a critique of your personality. It may be cliche, but think of it as a growing experience. Life would be pretty dull if nobody chose to continue learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment